Colic is the medical term used to describe the excessive and frequent crying in infants who otherwise appear to be healthy and well fed.
Whilst being a common condition, it still remains very poorly understood. There is also no evidence that colic has any long-term adverse effects on a baby’s health.
For parents however, it can be extremely distressing, especially as there are limited treatment options with conventional medicine.
In homeopathy there are a number of remedies that are useful.
– Chamomilla 30: This is the medicine for an intensely irritable colicky baby who appears angry. They want to be carried around which seems to soothe them. They get some relief from something warm being placed on their tummy. The tummy will be distended and they may pass small amounts of wind. A great remedy to use if your baby is teething.
– Colocynthis 30: If your baby is relieved by having some presure on their tummy by laying them over your knee, use this medicine. This baby will get some relief from passing wind or from the firm pressure.
– Nux Vomica 30: If your baby’s tummy appears tight and there are seemingly spasms of pain with constipation.
– Natrum Phos 3X tissue salt helps neutralise acids and aids digestion.
– Magnesium Phos 3X is another tissue salt that helps with cramps, spasm and pain. It works best when administered in warm water and can be given at the same time as the Natrum Phos 3X.
– Lycopodium 30: Flatulence and gurgling tummy with bloating may be present. Your baby will be better lying on the right side.
(Consult a fully qualified Homeopath for further information)